What’s better than a BBQ sauce coated roasted chicken inside a homemade cornbread? Well, let me tell about it a little bit. The recipe turns out super delicious every time. It is great and helps feeding a crowd! Super nutritious, easy to make, delicious to taste and doesn’t take much long to be ready to be devoured!!
As always this is a basic recipe that can be changed and modified according to everyone’s taste, change the veggies filling with corn and mashed potatoes, sautéd onion and bell pepper!!! Get creative with your own version and don’t forget to share with us your feedback.
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time: 25 min
- nonstick cooking spray
- 4 cups (960 mL) buttermilk
- 3 whole eggs
- ½ cup (115 g) unsalted butter, 1 stick, melted
- 3 cups (375 g) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (420 g) cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups (480 g) ketchup
- 4 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ cup (110 g) light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 cup (240 g) mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup (60 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ head green cabbage, thinly sliced
- ¼ head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, shredded
2 roasted chickens, shredded
- 24 pickles chips (for decoration)
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F (190˚C). Grease 2 baking sheets with nonstick spray and line with parchment paper.
- Make the cornbread: In a medium bowl stir the buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter until smooth.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda, and whisk to incorporate.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until fully combined.
- Divide the batter between the prepared baking sheets, and use a spatula to smooth the top.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare the barbecue sauce: over medium heat, Add the ketchup, Worcestershire, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, paprika, brown sugar, and black pepper to a medium saucepan and whisk to combine. Bring the sauce to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, pepper, apple cider vinegar, paprika, and salt, and whisk to combine.
- Mix the green cabbage, red cabbage, and shredded carrots, and stir until fully coated.
- Add on the shredded chicken to a large bowl, and pour the barbecue sauce over the chicken, stirring until fully coated.
- Transfer one of the cornbread sheets onto a large cutting board and remove the parchment paper. Spread the chicken over the cornbread in an even layer. Top with the slaw. Invert the other cornbread sheet on top to cover and peel off the parchment paper.
- Slice into 12 equal pieces. Garnish each piece with 2 pickle slices and secure with toothpicks.